All over the world, June 21 is celebrated as ‘World Music Day’. It is also known as ‘Fete de la Musique’ in French and Make Music Day as well. It is an open event where anyone can join and play music. However, with the Covid-19 pandemic this year, the World Music Day celebrations are restricted to everyone’s homes.
World Music Day History and Significance
World Music Day started in 1982 in France and it celebrates the freedom, openness, spirit of the art of music.
It is celebrated in more than 120 countries including France, India, China, United States, Australia, Italy among others. The Day is celebrated to encourage amateurs and professional musicians to perform in the streets.
French composer Maurice Fleuret, who was also Minister of Culture in the French government in 1981 started this tradition in 1982. The decision was made after realising that one in two children in France played a musical instrument.
On Fete de la Musique (festival of music), musicians organise concerts that are open to all at no cost. Performers donate their time to make the day memorable.
World Music Day: Quotes, WhatsApp wishes, Facebook messages to send on this day
To celebrate the richness of music, share these quotes and wishes with your friends and family.
1. The idea of music is to liberate the listener and lead him to a frame where he feels he is elevated – A. R. Rahman
2. There is a gap between the heart and brain – that is where the soundbox lies. Some sing from their heart; others use their brain – Asha Bhosle
3. Music is not a work for me – it’s a form of meditation, and you don’t need to work hard for it – Kailash Kher
4. To live is to be musical, starting with the blood dancing in your veins. Everything living has a rhythm. Do you feel your music? – Michael Jackson
5. I try to give to my music the spiritual quality, very deep in the soul, which does something even if you are not realizing it or analyzing it – that’s the duty of the music – Ravi Shankar
6. One has to sing from the heart to let it touch the right chords. Unless you enjoy the song, your listener will not either – Javed Ali
7. I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from, everyone loves music. – Billy Joel
8. Music has a way of slithering into people’s lives no matter how busy someone is and that is one of the best qualities of music. Have a happy World Music Day!
9. Life without music is like food without salt, bland and tasteless. Wish you all a very happy World Music Day!
10. Music can touch your hearts even if you don’t know what language the song is in. Happy World Music Day!